Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hummus

Hummus is everywhere! But this trendy dip is expensive to buy. You can make it yourself with very little effort -- but truly good recipes are hard to come by. This one is great (I promise) and is inspired by Doe's Pita, a sandwich chain in Charleston, South Carolina.

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon sea salt
zest of one lemon (optional)

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Use immediately or place in a covered container and store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Dori said...

Looks tastey!
I have been reading your blog for a while. Don't know if I told you I really enjoy the interviews.

Brenda said...

I saw you on 3abn demostrating a raw hummus recipe with sprouted garbonzoes and sesame seeds. I would like to have that recipe.

Thanks,


Brenda