Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Veggie Hero: Joel Schantz

Joel Schantz is the C.E.O. of Tree Huggin' Treats. This 30-something businessman lives and works in Asheville, N.C., and recently won "Best in Show" in the vegetarian food category at the prestigious Expo West. Tree Huggin' Treats rules and are wheat-free and vegan! Watch for more info on this great company in the next issue of VegNews.


Vegetarian or vegan?
Vegan


How long have you been veg*n?
11 years


What inspired you to go veg?
It just made sense. It became obvious to me that a vegan diet was a great way
to extend gratitude to mother earth and all her magic. yada yada yada

What's your best story of trying to find veg food?
It's been easy for me. I've always found a way. I wish I had a good story to tell.......sorry.

How do you handle family holiday dinners?
I eat my Tofurky and ignore everyone.

What's your favorite veg food?
Heiwa tempeh avocado rolls, Rosetta's Veggie Burgers, Mamacita's citrus tofu burritos, (all yummy foods from Asheville spots), Crispy Cats (of course!) fake meat, fake cheese, veganaise, Tofurky products, all fruits and veggies (for the most part). I'm easy. I'll eat just about anything vegan. Quality does have some importance though.

Do you have a favorite veg book?
"Vegan with a Vengance"



Tofu or tempeh?
Tofempeh

What did you have for breakfast today?
Banana, almond butter and rice milk.....yee haw!

No comments: