Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Veggie Hero: Erik Marcus

Erik Marcus doesn't consider himself a Veggie Hero, but countless others, myself included, sure do! He embodies his convictions in a very real way. Erik is the author of two important books, "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" and "Meat Market: Animals, Ethics and Money." He also works tirelessly keeping scores of listeners updated on animal issues via his popular podcast Erik's Diner. His passion to protect animals is evident in all his work -- and moreover it's motivating. He spurs people to action. If that doesn't make him a Veggie Hero, I don't know what does.

Vegetarian or vegan?
LOL

How long have you been veg*n?
Almost 20 years.

What inspired you to go veg?
Slaughterhouse footage.

What's your best story of trying to find veg food?
Just last week, on my cross-country drive, I found an organic restaurant in Iowa, and the next day I ate a veggie restaurant in Laramie, Wyoming. Both of these places I found purely by luck.

How do you handle family holiday dinners?
My mother typically goes out of her way to make entirely vegan meals.

What's your favorite veg food?
I adore grilled broccoli with soy margarine.

Do you have a favorite veg book?
I think every activist needs to read Peter Singer's "Ethics Into Action."

Tofu or tempeh?
Tofu less than a couple hours old beats everything.

What did you have for breakfast today?
Rainier cherries and pistachios.

1 comment:

Dori said...

Interesting! Thanks for introduccig Eric. Love the interviews, darn though. Now I am go8iingto have to run off and find this book. :)