Sunday, November 18, 2007

Apple Crisp

Yesterday was my husband's birthday and we had a few friends over to celebrate. Instead of the traditional cake, I made apple crisp to follow our dinner of salad, chili and cornbread.

It seemed to be a hit. The six of ate the entire pan of apple crisp -- there wasn't one bite left to photograph! Instead, all I was left with was bowls licked clean! One guest, an immigrant from France, said it was only the second time in his life that he was served a fruit crisp that he actually liked. Pretty high compliments from a man who has eaten his share of amazing French desserts.

Actually, I can't take all the compliments. This old-timey recipe was my grandmother's. I tweaked it just a bit to "veganize" it. I love serving it warm with a scoop of vanilla Soy Delicious -- pure comfort food!

Filling:
4 cups apples, sliced (use organic and/or local if possible)
1 tablespoon milled cane sugar

Topping:
1/3 cup unbleached flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons melted Spectrum margarine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Place apples in baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss to coat.

In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.

Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are tender.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm this makes me think of the peach crisp I made when they were in season in the summertime... Maybe it's time to give it another go with apples? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you made a keeper! Way to go!

Courtney