Friday, June 08, 2007

Smoothie Extravaganza: The Velvet Elvis

Summer is here!

When hot weather hits, most of us hate to think about cooking, but of course we still need to nourish ourselves and our families with delicious food. One easy answer is smoothies. These thick, refreshing drinks make a great breakfast, after day camp snack, or before bed treat. Even grownups love to drink them when heading out the door for a busy day.

I've decided to share some of my favorite innovations. I asked my sweet husband to grade them on a scale of 1-5 stars, with 5 being the highest score. I hope you'll try a few out this summer.

Velvet Elvis Smoothie

A yummy concoction honoring the King's favorite sandwich combo: peanut butter and banana. And because it is dark in color, it reminds me of a velvet Elvis painting!

1 1/2 frozen bananas
1 tablespoon smooth-ground natural peanut butter
2 cups light soymilk or cow's milk

Add all ingredients into a blender. Puree until smooth. Serves two.

Grade: ***

3 comments:

Brother James said...

A local juice shop in Lincoln Nebraska has a similar concoction, but adds Grape Nuts cereal, Oats, vanilla yoghurt, and some honey. It's called a Velvet Elvis as well.

I always pictured a smoothie drink to honor Elvis, but my vision included pork or bacon...

www.firstoasis.com said...

Goodness, there is a lot of useful data here!

www.valladolid-3d.com said...

I totally agree with the article.